After months of messing around with ingredients and testing numerous concoctions, I’ve landed on a great dairy free running recovery smoothie.
My guidelines were simple, a no added sugar, dairy free smoothie with anti-oxidants, carbs, protein and healthy fats. Oh and it has to taste great of course!
There is no prep work, other than chopping up one banana and a handful of strawberries for the freezer. Heres a list of ingredients.
Dairy Free Running Recovery Smoothie Ingredients
- Almond milk (1/2 cup)
- Spinach (1/4 bag)
- 1 Frozen bannana
- Strawberries (handful)
- Organic Coconut oil (1/2 tablespoon)
- Chia Charge peanut butter (full tablespoon)
Dairy Free Running Recovery Smoothie Instructions
- Defrost the banana and strawberries for 30 minutes.
- When defrosted throw in a blender with coconut oil and peanut butter.
- Before blending add spinach, and almond milk. Both ingredients can be increased to taste.
- Now blend until strawberries and banana turn smooth and serve.
You can leave this running recovery smoothie in the fridge over night. Simply stir well before serving.
Great for the morning after a hard run, I also use this smoothie to help fulfil nutritional needs between meals. When training hard it can be tough to find enough, nutrient rich calories, smoothies are a great way to refuel without feeling stuffed.
Spinach acts as a great anti-oxidant, aiding those aching muscles. Chia Charge peanut butter is loaded with healthy fats, omega 3 and protein. Coconut oil is a great source of energy and the banana/strawberries add some tasty, natural carbohydrates. Almond milk adds yet more protein and plenty of vitamins.